Re: [SLUG] Verizon tech admits service rolling disconnects

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 17:02:37 EST

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 03:39:58PM -0500, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Pete Theisen wrote:
>
>> Neither FIOS nor Brighthouse are available here. I have Verizon dsl, the
>> place is wired for Comcast but I have never subscribed.
>
> Hi Everybody!
>
> OK, the new modem is here by 10 AM this morning, almost waiting for me
> as I return from work. It is different than what I have been using:
> Actiontec GT704- WG. F/W:3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.10
>
> Anyone ever used this unit? There are few instructions. Why do I think
> it is going to want me to have Winders on the machine from the get-go
> for a set-up program?
>
> I am going to want to at minimum turn off the wireless. Would unscrewing
> the antenna do that?

Absolutely not, though it might reduce its range.

Generally, routers like this are accessible via a browser at a certain
IP address, which they give you. They also give you a password and
username to get into them. Then you browse through the interface and set
whatever values you like.

Unfortunately, my internal router (not the one from Verizon) insists on
rewriting its firmware every time I make a change. Takes a minute or so.
Real pain.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster