Re: [SLUG] distro longevity

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 18:38:15 EST

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:28:05PM -0500, Eben King wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Can dist-upgrade _only_ take me to Debian (which version?), or can it do
>> other things as well? How does it decide?
>>
>> I use a custom-compiled kernel. I guess backing it up, then letting
>> apt-get do its thing, then restoring it, should do the trick.
>
> Where dist-upgrade takes you to depends on your apt config file. If
> you're running on, say, Potato, and you do a dist-upgrade, it will bring
> you up to whatever is the current stable (Etch?).

What are their relative positions?

> However, if you change your apt config to track testing or unstable, it
> will bring you all the way up to the current testing/unstable (with the
> resultant chaos).

Are they the same, or is one more refined than the other? How do I change
the "track"?

> Dist-upgrade is tricky. It can go smoothly, or you can wind up with an
> unusable machine. Just depends. On sunspots. My experience with
> dist-upgrade is fraught with horror stories. I prefer to upgrade
> subsystems one at a time. Debian can also have a tendency to show
> conflicts when mass-upgrading like this. This package will conflict with
> that package, and the only way to handle it is to
> uninstall them both and attempt to reinstall them individually. Of
> course, not all upgrades go that way. Yours might not.
>
> Upgrading your distro could make your custom kernel prone to panics and
> crashes. If your upgrade changes libraries (particularly the C
> libraries), your kernel could be unstable when it runs. If your upgrade
> is going to go anywhere near core libraries, I'd recommend recompiling
> it.

That, and if I have time re-do it from the beginning, with an "official"
config file and about the same version stock kernel.

> And building a script file to do this simply the next time you have
> to. You don't have to worry so much about specific packages upgrading or
> Gnome/KDE upgrades, but some of the other more basic libraries could do
> you in on an upgrade.

I wrote a script that runs "make menuconfig", files away the .config after
letting you name it, compiles the kernel and modules, and installs them. I
got burned by needing to go back two steps and didn't have a way. Now I do.

> Dang, am I a ray of sunshine or what? ;-}

Eh, reality(?) is good.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political