Re: [SLUG] Verizon tech admits service rolling disconnects

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 18:47:22 EST

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
>>> Actiontec GT704- WG. F/W:3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.10
>>>
>>> Anyone ever used this unit? There are few instructions. Why do I think it
>>> is going to want me to have Winders on the machine from the get-go for a
>>> set-up program?
>>>
>>> I am going to want to at minimum turn off the wireless. Would unscrewing
>>> the antenna do that?
>>
>> On the MI424WR you can turn it off using software so I bet there's a way
>> there too, but you can take off the antenna too to make it look neater (or
>> smaller if space is tight).
>>
>> Point a web browser at the router. It needs Javascript. The MI424WR's
>> credentials were by default "admin" and "password" (also try "password1").
>> Or maybe that's just what Verizon set up.
>
> There is a MAC ID, a WEP key and an ESSID on a sticker on the back. Are those
> of any use?

Sure, if you want to connect another computer to it wirelessly, or identify
it with ARP. Not much help logging in. In fact, the WEP key and ESSID are
very easy to change, so you should. MAC ID, less so, and Verizon will throw
a fit if you change it without telling them.

The router's your gateway, and the message I just sent in the same thread
says how to get its IP address.

--
The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has