Re: [SLUG] distro longevity

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 20:37:37 EST

> I went to add some packages (abcde, for one) to my laptop, which runs
> Ubuntu 6.something (how do I check?), only to find out that
> us.archive.ubuntu.com no longer carries that distro. This is highly
> un-good, as I hate reinstalling, and try to do it as seldom as
> possible. I'm not married to Ubuntu or a Debian-derived distro. What
> distro has a halfway decent package system, and is likely to be around
> a LONG time? Alternatively, is there another repository I could use?

Ubuntu has the concept of LTS (long term support?). If you go to
download Ubuntu desktop today, the current version is 8.10; but that
version might only be supported until April 2009, when the next version
comes out. If you want an LTS Ubuntu, the most recent version is 8.04
(April 2008), which they promise to support until 2011. Some people
might be so resistant to change that that isn't long enough, but for me,
running a 3+ year-old Linux desktop is weird. :)

--
--ronan