Re: [SLUG] distro longevity

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 21:34:48 EST

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, ronan wrote:

>> I went to add some packages (abcde, for one) to my laptop, which runs
>> Ubuntu 6.something (how do I check?), only to find out that
>> us.archive.ubuntu.com no longer carries that distro. This is highly
>> un-good, as I hate reinstalling, and try to do it as seldom as possible.
>> I'm not married to Ubuntu or a Debian-derived distro. What distro has a
>> halfway decent package system, and is likely to be around a LONG time?
>> Alternatively, is there another repository I could use?
>>
> Ubuntu has the concept of LTS (long term support?). If you go to download
> Ubuntu desktop today, the current version is 8.10; but that version might
> only be supported until April 2009, when the next version comes out. If you
> want an LTS Ubuntu, the most recent version is 8.04 (April 2008), which they
> promise to support until 2011.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

> Some people might be so resistant to change that that isn't long enough,
> but for me, running a 3+ year-old Linux desktop is weird. :)

I dunno, I like to have a consistent interface. I figure the hardware
didn't change, why should the software? It's easier to upgrade the desktop,
so I'm correspondingly less resistant to software changes there.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.