Re: [SLUG] iPod compatibility

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 14:18:00 EST

On Sunday 11 January 2009, Eben King wrote:
> A person was considering getting me an iPod Touch for Christmas. My uncle
> has one, so I played with it a bit today. How's its usability with Linux?
> Can I transfer movies, images, programs, and music to it? I'm not
> concerned about contacts or URLs.

We give them away with our product as a gimmick. Because the communication
protocol is closed it's not yet known how it talks. This is the primary
barrier in getting a Touch solution under Linux. (Not true for other iPods.)

I have installed Linux many times on it but there are things to look out for.
(Through jailbreaking.) Since it has a transmitter/receiver it requires more
power when using those. It appears that the SSH Daemon is one of those which
eats a lot of transmit/receive power as the battery life dropped from some 20
hrs of listening to music to being practically drained over night just
sitting on the table unused.

I discovered that unlocking it and then restoring it to original condition
online (easy via iTunes) does not either fully restore the battery life. In
the end I had to mail it to Apple (who paid for shipping and I had it back in
5 days) to get the original battery life.

>From that I can only conclude that either restore online is not really factory
restore, or the jailbreak started something which could not be handled by the
online restore.

This was on the original model before the new one with a volume control.

Apple has been working to stop it from being opened so who knows what kinds
of "countermeasures" they have in place.

Todate there is no method to use it without either jailbreaking it or relying
on having access to windows.

Now using it as intended is pretty nice. It works pretty good and you can
store a lot of stuff on 32MB.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin