Re: [SLUG] iPod compatibility

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 17:24:41 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Sunday 11 January 2009, Eben King wrote:
>> A person was considering getting me an iPod Touch for Christmas. My uncle
>> has one, so I played with it a bit today. How's its usability with Linux?
>> Can I transfer movies, images, programs, and music to it? I'm not
>> concerned about contacts or URLs.

[snip]

> Since it has a transmitter/receiver it requires more
> power when using those. It appears that the SSH Daemon is one of those which
> eats a lot of transmit/receive power as the battery life dropped from some 20
> hrs of listening to music to being practically drained over night just
> sitting on the table unused.
>
> I discovered that unlocking it and then restoring it to original condition
> online (easy via iTunes) does not either fully restore the battery life. In
> the end I had to mail it to Apple (who paid for shipping and I had it back in
> 5 days) to get the original battery life.

OK, if I accept the reduced battery life and Jailbreak it, (1) can I load
apps from Linux, and (2) is there an appointments scheduler, turning it into
a hopped-up PDA?

> Now using it as intended is pretty nice. It works pretty good and you can
> store a lot of stuff on 32MB.

Oh yeah, (3a) is there removable storage on an SD or CF card or similar, and
(3b) does the "x GB" attached to its name refer to that, or to the built-in
flash?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
        http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html