Re: [SLUG] mount/NFS problems

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 16:59:08 EST

Thus Paul M Foster hast written on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:36:01PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

> > and remembered that I'd read
> >
> > sec=mode Set the security flavor for this mount to "mode".
> > The default setting is sec=sys, which uses local
> > unix uids and gids to authenticate NFS operations
> > (AUTH_SYS). Other currently supported settings are:
> > sec=krb5, which uses Kerberos V5 instead of local unix
> > uids and gids to authenticate users; sec=krb5i, which
> > uses Kerberos V5 for user authentication and performs
> > integrity checking of NFS operations using secure
> > checksums to prevent data tampering; and sec=krb5p,
> > which uses Kerberos V5 for user authentication and
> > integrity checking, and encrypts NFS traffic to prevent
> > traffic sniffing (this is the most secure setting).
> > Note that there is a performance penalty when using
> > integrity or privacy.
> >
> > Try changing the "sec" mount option to "local", then unmount and mount the
> > filesystem on the client.
>
> No "local" option for security under NFS. "none" and "sys" might be
> valid options. Under Samba, I don't see *any* sec= options, according to
> man 8 mount and man 8 smbmount.

Sorry, I meant "sys". Looks like it's an NFS specific mount option.

> Additional data: "none" and "sys" don't affect behavior either way as
> sec= options under NFS (by actual experiment).

There's a SUN page about NFS security that says:

        none:
    Use null authentication (AUTH_NONE). NFS clients using AUTH_NONE have
    no identity and are mapped to the anonymous user nobody by NFS servers.
    A client using a security mode other than the one with which a Solaris
    NFS server shares the file system has its security mode mapped to
    AUTH_NONE. In this case, if the file system is shared with sec=none,
    users from the client are mapped to the anonymous user. The NFS
    security mode none is supported by share_nfs(1M), but not by
    mount_nfs(1M) or automount(1M).

If the server see you as anonymous user or having no auth, you aren't going
to be able to write to anything (directory) that isn't world writable,
and even then, maybe not.