RE: [SLUG] How did Skype set port forwarding?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 16:46:58 EST

Skype will work (last time I checked) with uPNP turned off. It tries to
turn it on so that it can use your PC as a connection host. When it does
so, it tells a Skype server in the cloud your address. When someone starts
up Skype, it registers itself on a "volunteer" server (like yours). When
someone tries to call him, Skype directs the connection to your volunteer
server, which informs the target that there is a call waiting. The two
route their calls though the volunteer server.

Why do they do this? Well, if the target is behind a router with all ports
blocked, you can't call him. So by having each Skype user make a connection
to a central server, no ports need to be open - except at the central
server. Naturally, the bandwidth has a cost, so Skype tries to open ports
via uPNP, and if successful it will become a volunteer server. And you
agreed to this in the EULA.

Since the quality of the connection depends on the throughput of the
volunteer server, it is possible to setup your own Skype server and direct
your Skype calls to use it. This is commonly done for Podcasters, who need
a clean signal. I've forgotten how to do this, but it was in the docs.

Oh yeah... uPNP was developed by.... (wait for it).... Microsoft. It was
designed for the Xbox to easily connect to another friend's Xbox. There may
have been some unintended consequences.

Ken Elliott