Re: [SLUG] mount/NFS problems

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 17:48:05 EST

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:59:08PM -0500, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> There's a SUN page about NFS security that says:
>
> none:
> Use null authentication (AUTH_NONE). NFS clients using AUTH_NONE have
> no identity and are mapped to the anonymous user nobody by NFS servers.
> A client using a security mode other than the one with which a Solaris
> NFS server shares the file system has its security mode mapped to
> AUTH_NONE. In this case, if the file system is shared with sec=none,
> users from the client are mapped to the anonymous user. The NFS
> security mode none is supported by share_nfs(1M), but not by
> mount_nfs(1M) or automount(1M).
>
> If the server see you as anonymous user or having no auth, you aren't going
> to be able to write to anything (directory) that isn't world writable,
> and even then, maybe not.

That's aggravating. I don't recall the man page saying anything like
that for sec=none. In fact, it implies that "none" doesn't validate my
requests at all. It doesn't even explain about 4 of the options; just
says they're security options. Unexplained are lkey, lkeyi, spkm, spkmi,
spkmp. Argh.

In any case, "sys" was how I originally had it set, and the behavior was
as I described earlier.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster