Re: [SLUG] iPod compatibility

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 08:12:47 EST

On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 January 2009, Eben King wrote:
> >> A person was considering getting me an iPod Touch for Christmas. My
> >> uncle has one, so I played with it a bit today. How's its usability
> >> with Linux? Can I transfer movies, images, programs, and music to it?
> >> I'm not concerned about contacts or URLs.

Only via iTunes.

> OK, if I accept the reduced battery life and Jailbreak it, (1) can I load
> apps from Linux, and (2) is there an appointments scheduler, turning it
> into a hopped-up PDA?

What I discovered was that ssh became the only real method of communicating.
There are a lot of applications that you can install, including things like
Apache, which would of course have a very limited usability.

Active use, like watching youtube, dropped to a couple of hours.

> > Now using it as intended is pretty nice. It works pretty good and you can
> > store a lot of stuff on 32MB.
>
> Oh yeah, (3a) is there removable storage on an SD or CF card or similar,
> and (3b) does the "x GB" attached to its name refer to that, or to the
> built-in flash?

It does not have an opening to plug in any expansion modules. The only plug is
the main connector at the bottom. It would require some 3rd party product,
which I've not seen. I don't either think it would be very practical to
attach something to the bottom and carry that around. There are no hooks that
can be used to secure something to it.

I have a radio/alarm clock which allows me to play music from the Touch, by
pluggin it in at the top. It comes with a remote and I can browse the Touch
and select music. There is a bigger version which apparently then transmits
the music to other devices in your home.

The capacity noted is entirely internal to the Touch.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.