Re: [SLUG] Verizon router setup for VPN server

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 23:14:23 EST

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Donald E Haselwood wrote:

> I can't get port forwarding to work for on my Verizon FIOS
> router (ActionTec MI424-WR). Any tips or suggestions?
>
> I have an openvpn server setup on a Suse 11.0 box behind the
> Verizon router (192.168.1.0/24 net) as well as a Linksys
> router to a 10.1.1.0/24 net. The Suse 11 box is on
> 192.168.1.44 with firewall set to pass the openvpn port.
> If I set the Verizon router to DMZ 192.168.1.44,
> connections to the openvpn server from the internet work.
>
> However, instead of using DMZ I use port forwarding I cannot
> make it work. I've found some www posts that indicate that
> folk are having problems with port forwarding with this
> router and there are some suggestions, e.g. UPnP enabled
> can prevent manual port forwarding from working, but so far
> the only thing that has worked is to DMZ to the server (in
> fact one www post suggested just using a 2nd router after
> the Verizon router and using DMZ between the Verizon router
> and the 2nd router (such as Linksys running DD-WRT).
>
> Since a good many SLUG'ers are using Verizon FIOS I thought
> maybe someone has this issue sorted.

I do port forwarding on "my" MI-424WR on FiOS, but I don't use a VPN. Don't
know if that'd be helpful.

Actually, I would suggest that you use some sort of sniffer on *.44 when
it's in the DMZ and make sure it's not receiving packets on any ports except
those that are forwarded when it's not in the DMZ. Unless you've already
done that, in which case never mind. TCP vs UDP might be significant.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
       A neutron walks into a bar; he asks the bartender,