Re: [SLUG] SLUG archives

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 23:35:21 EST

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:33:42PM -0500, Pamela J. Ashworth (webmail) wrote:

> I was noticing that the SLUG archives list our email addresses, not
> truncated, on a webpage for everyone to see - is this normal with mailing
> lists? cause it looks like a great way to get more spam...
>
> I checked out one of the archives for mythtv, and at least they are using
> [at] in place of @ to take a bite out of the automated address scraping
>
> on my own site, I put my address under a link that says email me.

The list is run by majordomo, and majordomo has no facility to make
these kinds of edits to email. If I had to guess, I would say that the
software used to archive the list also has no such capabilities. I've
looked at the archives of a variety of lists, and seldom recall seeing
universally obfuscated email addresses.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster