Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 06:38:11 EST

> I did say "around here". Trouble I am having with my current host that
> carries http://pete-theisen.com/ is that it takes a dog's age to load
> the page.
The amount of time it takes a page to be transmitted from Chicago to
here is measured in milliseconds, literally fractions of an eye-blink.
Slow sites are caused by slow servers or poorly-design or poorly-coded
pages, not by physical distance -- as long as they originate on this
planet and there are no satellite hops between you and the them, anyway.

Steadfast.net is in Chicago and is a reliable host. Brice Burgess and I
have been using them happily for years. Great reliability, great prices.
Can't say anything about their tech support or customer service because
we haven't needed them. Steadfast.net "just works," which is how we like
it. They use H-Sphere instead of C-Panel. Which one you prefer
personally is a matter of taste. Brice strongly prefers H-Sphere. I have
a slight preference for C-Panel, but it really doesn't matter to me one
way or the other.

However, as a super-fast and easy way to put up a full-featured
political campaign site including lots of photos and videos, endless
press releases, a blog, and user areas, you might want to investigate
ning.com. I did some Web and video work for several candidates in the
last election, and none of the specialized "campaign site" services any
of them tried were as easy to use (for non-technical people) as ning.
It costs more than a "raw" hosting service, but since we're talking
about ~$6/month vs. ~$26/month, if you're a serious candidate and intend
to use your site as a serious campaign tool, that's a negligible difference.

- Robin