Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: Dennis Devine, San Antonio (ddevine@sanantoniofla.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 14:49:35 EST

<rant>
Great points about the domain names. While I use 1and1 for some of my
hosting,
I keep my domains separate for that exact reason. I had problems with
Siteground
and others over domain names. I also had some real problems with Network
Solutions
when they switched to Verisign. Many of the large web hosting corporations
do things that are
similar to the "phone slamming" and use contracts simliar to what you see
in the telcomm/phone business.

They call their domain offer "free domain with hosting", I call them "hook
domains."
You get hooked and stuck like people who have an AOL email address. </rant>

Getting back to hosting, the original question was asking for a basic
hosting package.
Bandwidth and storage can be issues but most of the industrial hosting
packages are
quite competitive. I wouldn't make them my server home for my business in
the clouds.

If someone has their domain and hosting at the same location, they don't'
have
the complete freedom of pointing their site to the location as their choice.
I consider
the domains that 1and1 give me as "throwaway" and prototype domains that
allow
me to develop projects independent of other domains. I can develop a site
under
my testdomain.com and later reassign a completed project to a client domain
and move it there. If it's just a static website moving from host to host is
trivial. Once you get into MySQL databases and a variety of scripts and
CMS packages, moving can become a more tedious effort and involves some
heavy
lifting.

There are dozens of "Top Hosting Ratings" sites and they are all
suspect in my book. I'd rather hear from people on the this list or
other sources than most of those ratings sites.

http://webhostinggeeks.com/?gclid=CP-CnI70nZgCFQS7sgodynGqoA

http://www.besthostratings.com/

http://www.hostingtoplist.com/