Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 08:52:22 EST

steve szmidt wrote:

> The odd part was how they simply would not let me go. Not that they could
> prevent me as I always keep domain registration and hosting separated for
> these type of scenarios. I just changed DNS to the new ISP.

Key point here: "I always keep domain registration and hosting
separated..."

Me, too. My wife did a Yahoo site for her little art business and took
their "free domain name" offer. We couldn't pry that domain name out of
Yahoo with 10 crowbars and a shotgun. It is *always* good to own your
domain name 100% through a separate registrar and not have it tied to a
particular hosting service or other provider.

Another point a lot of people forget is that if your primary email
address is myname19541@someisp.com and you move, say, from Comcursed
territory to Dullhouse territory or move from RoadCrawler to Verizoff
or vice versa, all your friends and business contacts who use your
email as their primary way to get hold of you won't be able to.

If you use the internetweb for any kind of business, professional or
political activity, you *must* have and keep control of your own domain
name and email address. Not the ISP, not some web design company, not
your best friend's uncle. You.

- Robin