Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 08:13:50 EST

On Monday 19 January 2009, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
> > While I'm talking about hosting companies, dreamhost has good pricing
> > and generous hosting specs.
>
> Brice and I tried Dreamhost, also Bluehost and a bunch of others.
> Dreamhost downtime was way too high (test sites were down for 2 - 3 days
> at a time more than once), also other glitches and problems. And don't
> fall for "unlimited bandwidth" claims from *anyone*. We slapped some
> Flash files on various companies while we were still in test phase, had
> 10 - 20 friends hit them simultaneously. No go!

They have gone through complete server and equipment overhaul. I know what you
mean but that's all over. I was close to leaving them but was too busy so I
stuck it out. What I like now is how they are totally transparent. They
respond very quickly and effectively. We are spread out geographically and
use IM for most chatting, and cannot live with down time. Ditto with trouble
tickets and the managing of them. We have not seen any downtime for a year
now.

> You're right about GoDaddy. They suck beyond belief. I'm sure someone
> out there is happy with them, but I have not met that person.

GoDaddy got in big legal troubles too.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.