Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 12:40:36 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> While I'm talking about hosting companies, dreamhost has good pricing
> and generous hosting specs.

Brice and I tried Dreamhost, also Bluehost and a bunch of others.
Dreamhost downtime was way too high (test sites were down for 2 - 3 days
at a time more than once), also other glitches and problems. And don't
fall for "unlimited bandwidth" claims from *anyone*. We slapped some
Flash files on various companies while we were still in test phase, had
10 - 20 friends hit them simultaneously. No go!

You're right about GoDaddy. They suck beyond belief. I'm sure someone
out there is happy with them, but I have not met that person.

BTW, *all* big hosting companies (and big companies in general) have
people who don't like them. That's simple statistics. Gonna happen.

I have no recent personal experience with 1and1. They did some severe
marketing lying 8 or 9 years ago but seem to have cleaned up their act
since then. I hope they're okay now; it looks like I'll be doing some
promo video work for the hosted OpenXchange service they offer....

- Robin