Re: [SLUG] Election Site hosting

From: Dennis Devine, San Antonio (ddevine@sanantoniofla.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 15:25:57 EST

Pete,

So sorry to hear about the grief you are going thru with the hosting
package.
Here' s my deal. I register my domain FIRST with an independent outfit.
I have been using the original $9.99 domain registrar company PacNames
(out of Australia) for several reasons.

First, they are out of the US, so it is harder to "steal" a domain. I've had

problems with big companies pulling domains from my clients when I
used Verisign and NetworkSolutions, plus they did a lot of underhanded
things during their growth period that ticked me off. Those Australians
don't answer to the USA. I also do some hosting in the UK for the
same reasons.

I then set up an account with a good reliable host for the basic plan.
Set up a site with their "free" domain to test out their server and
control panels and security, etc. THEN I add my independent domain.
Let me add, the word "I". A good hosting company will let YOU
add and drop domains as you see fit. They dont' control your
domain in any way.

That is the gist of most of the recommendations you have been
reading.

I use independent resources to review choices and hosting
packages. I routinely use the respected and established
NetCraft for stats. http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html
The stats are reliable, so nothing is
perfect on the internet, but 99.9% reliability is adequate for my
purposes. Latency is also a major factor when adding
database access, etc

I guess you heard about AOL's Hometown Free hosting. They shut it
down without notice and left thousands of people in the lurch.
So much for the free hosting packages. With a good hosting
package, you can add many domains to your account with
NO additional charge to your hosting plan.
I have upped the ante on several of my hosting locations and
continue to use a variety of hosts for various levels of service.
Another high rated host is PAIR Hosting, which has a very
good record, redundant and mutliple DS3 backbone routes,
but until recently only offered email support. Glow Host hasn't
showed up on my radar screen or on the many reviews of
major hosting packages. The problem with hosting is people
can now but a reseller package with some hosting companies
and claim to be a hosting company.

The hosting company I use provides server status options and following
Guaranteed Server Specifications:

guarantees that all of its servers will meet at least the following
specifications
   Supermicro Enterprise-Grade Rackmount Servers Powerful Dual AMD
Opteron (Quad Core) High-Efficiency (HE) CPUs Minimum of 6144MB (6GB) ECC
Registered DDR2 Dual Channel System RAM Hot-Swappable Seagate Cheetah
15,000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Disks. Hardware RAID10 Disk
Controllers. Use of 2U chassis for better cooling and air flow. Redundant
Power Supply Units (PSUs). Intelligent Platform Management Interface
(IPMI) cards for hardware event monitoring. Remote reboot functionality
allows our team to power cycle servers faster if the need arises.
Route Optimized Performance Bandwidth They purchase the highest quality of
bandwidth from InterNAP, Level 3 Communications
and Time Warner Telecom. We also optimize all of our outbound routes using
the
Flow Control Platform (FCP) device. This means that we will not only route
traffic to
your site visitors but we will do so in the quickest and most reliable way
possible.
The FCP device helps to route around any packet loss or latency that may
exist
between the data center and your site visitor that wouldn't be on a
conventional
unoptimized hosting network. Running the FCP device on top of our high
performance
bandwidth providers and fully redundant meshed network offers our customers
an unbeatable solution.

GoDaddy sells hosting similar to the HealthSpa Plan - they sell more
bandwidth than
they having hoping not everyone uses the host all at the same time. For the
most
part, they do alright, but they continue to oversell.

Pete, I did a quick site test on your server response and got:
Server Test results
*Service type:* http://*Hostname:*pete-theisen.com/*Port:*80*Test performed
from:* Seattle, WA*Test performed at:*2009-01-21 14:08:49 (GMT -06:00)*
Status:*OK *Response Time:*0.177 sec *DNS:*0.107 sec *Connect:*0.070 sec *
Redirect:*0.000 sec
Host Name
 Server Type Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 PHP/4.4.9
mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8
FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Looks like you are using Joomla, but had an earlier Mambo install.

The Bar-B-Que sounds like a great idea. I'd like to hear your experiences
with Glow Host.
I think it boils down to what you need and want from a hosting package. One
person will
say a hosting company sucks, but if they have hundreds and thousands of
clients
around the world they may be doing something right for someone. I've had
problems
getting used to different hosting package plans and want one that will give
me
complete freedom to do what I want and provide high reliability and
security.

dd