Re: [SLUG] Questions about FiOS...

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 10:02:41 EST

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> Does anyone have FiOS?

Yes.

> If so, any problems with their wireless and Linux?

If your wireless chipset works with other routers, I see no reason why it
won't work with theirs. EXCEPT: In the last few weeks I have had a problem
wwith their router not responding to DHCP requests, but it does bother the
XP DVR (apparently its interface's DHCP allocation times out occasionally),
and a Vista laptop (she boots it fresh, so naturally it has to use DHCP). I
haven't found a workaround except to log into the router and reboot it. It
has some port always forwarded to itself for updates from Verizon. I
suspect it's one of those updates that hosed DHCP.

> And does their wireless router have Cat-5 ports for at least two
> computers, or do I need to add my own router/switch?

It has 4 ports, at least on the Actiontec MI-424WR router, which is what I
have. We have more than four devices, and none of them are where the main
router is, so we have smaller routers a way off, connected to long cables.

--
The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has