Re: [SLUG] Questions about FiOS...

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 22:16:44 EST

On Saturday 14 February 2009, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> Does anyone have FiOS? If so, any problems with their wireless and
> Linux? And does their wireless router have Cat-5 ports for at least two
> computers, or do I need to add my own router/switch?

I've been running with cable for almost a decade. A while ago I upgraded to
20Mb/2Mb but could never exceed 12.5Mb. After half a dozen techs one finally
pointed out that the default modem they give you is not able to exceed 12.5.

The new one is an Ambit according to the slip. I've not been able to read any
name or model on the box itself. It is flatter than the other model and comes
with four Ethernet connectors.

(This I run into my firewall and then into switches.)

I now have something like 19.8 Mb/2Mb.

I've been looking at getting FiOS as a backup for when the cable goes down so
I'm also interested to hear what people are saying. There are a lot of
unhappy people making noise about FiOS. But then happy people usually don't
make as much noise.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.