Re: [SLUG] Questions about FiOS...

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 11:38:20 EST

steve szmidt wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2009, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have FiOS? If so, any problems with their wireless and
>> Linux? And does their wireless router have Cat-5 ports for at least two
>> computers, or do I need to add my own router/switch?
>>

> I've been running with cable for almost a decade. A while ago I upgraded to
> 20Mb/2Mb but could never exceed 12.5Mb. After half a dozen techs one finally
> pointed out that the default modem they give you is not able to exceed 12.5.
>
> The new one is an Ambit according to the slip. I've not been able to read any
> name or model on the box itself. It is flatter than the other model and comes
> with four Ethernet connectors.
>
> (This I run into my firewall and then into switches.)
>
> I now have something like 19.8 Mb/2Mb.
>
> I've been looking at getting FiOS as a backup for when the cable goes down so
> I'm also interested to hear what people are saying. There are a lot of
> unhappy people making noise about FiOS. But then happy people usually don't
> make as much noise.

I have the 20/20 FIOS service.
My previous cable service was supposed top be 15/5, however like Steve
said I never got more than 12.5.
My FIOS I can get about 19.2 down (remember you have to account for TCP
overhead) and
about 15.5 up (I think I could get more though, just never stressed it).

Comparatively speaking FIOS is a lot more stable for me. For the year I
have had it I cannot remember a single outage.
I've had cable modems in 5 different houses and I would lose service at
least once a month. Mostly brief outages though but annoying at least.

A friend of mine is an engineer at brighthouse and is testing the new
DOCSIS 3.0 modem. He can saturate his 100mb LAN.
wow.