Re: [SLUG] Accessing NAS

From: Eldo Varghese (poningru@ufl.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 12:41:51 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:26:19AM -0500, Eldo Varghese wrote:
>

>> Actually now a days higher end NAS use iscsi. And is a lot
>> faster/headache free than CIFS/SMB.
>>

> Are there drivers for iSCSI in Linux, and can drives be mounted with
> type iSCSI?
>
> Paul

Yes most modern distros can be iscsi target or initiator. Ubuntu ltsp
stuff can even boot off of that (assuming there is a small hdd in the
thin client).
Regarding NAS: I dont know what you plan on purchasing, but the cheapest
thing to do is either get an old Linksys NSLU2, or a buffalo NAS (make
sure to atleast get a two hdd model) and then add on/replace the
harddrives. And put in a replacement Linux firmware on there:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ or http://www.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page
-Eldo