Re: [SLUG] searching by atime

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 12:52:10 EST

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> Spake Eben King on Monday, February 23, 2009 at 05:05PM -0500:
>> I have a problem with autofs constantly remounting three filesystems.
>>
>> Gory details:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.misc/browse_thread/thread/ca066e4d01385503/a30e3a317d3b13b8?#a30e3a317d3b13b8
>> = http://preview.tinyurl.com/aheuc9
>> or <o06776-h8s.ln1@pc.home> and replies
>>
>> So my latest idea to track down the culprit is to find recently-accessed
>> files/directories on the filesystems in question, in the hope that that'll
>> give me some clue as to which program is responsible.
>>
>> Problem is, "find" lets you search on atime easily enough, but in doing
>> it touches everything in its path, destroying their atimes for future
>> searches. Is there a way to search that either doesn't change the atimes
>> of examined files/directories, or puts them back the way they were
>> afterward?
>
> perhaps:
>
> mount /mountpoint -o remount,noatime
>
> beforehand?

That should work. I do want to watch the files to see if anything _else_
accesses them, though.

I'm thinking the whole "autofs won't unmount" problem is somehow related to
NFS. I uninstalled it forgetting that's how I communicate with my VMs, then
immediately had to reinstall it. Oops. Maybe having it connect through
xinetd would make it release whatever hold is on those filesystems when it's
done. I don't run VMs very often, so that would probably not be too much
overhead.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
A. A Top Poster                       \  http://www.fscked.co.uk/