Re: [SLUG] got a popup on Firefox 3, Suse 10.2

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 10:51:40 EDT

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Pamela J. Ashworth (webmail) wrote:

> happened kinda quick. it was like one of those, you've got a virus things.
> I was on my way to closing the pop-up (I never get popups here) by using
> the little x (i never click No. don't trust the box) but due to the fact
> that I use a remote control/keyboard mouse, it was taking a few seconds.
> in the meantime all sort of other windows started popping up, (including
> ones that *looked like* downloads but I was F4'ing too furiously (and
> futilely) to read them. Finally I gave up and sent an alt shift backspace
> which killed kde and the browser with it.

(fix yer line length please)

If you've got FF already blocking popups, it was probably invoked through
Flash. There's a setting under about:config that disallows that... looks
like privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins. Also using things that disallow
Javascript (such as Noscript) and Flash (such as Flashblock) from arbitrary
sites is a good idea. I sometimes have to disable Flashblock to get some
sites to work; you get what you pay for. On the whole, it's a very good
thing -- no more moving or interactive ads.

--
"On two occasions I have been asked, -- 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put
into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?'