Re: [SLUG] Skype Audio Problem SUSE 11.1

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 08:53:25 EDT

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM, draeath <draeath@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well... it is sorta broke.
>>
>> Pulse is filling the gap that newer MS (maybe mac?) is creating with their
>> new mixers.
>>
>> Besides, who was really happy with esd or arts? I never was. The pulseaudio
>> esd-compat system works for me most of the time.
>>
>> It's new. Give it some time. If anything, throwing it out there this early
>> is good, it encourages issues to get fixed.

>>> Yea, it is sort of like the old thing about if it ain't broke why fix
>>> it?? I have
>>> had rare problems with the audio, but I never had to pull things out by
>>> the
>>> roots in order to fix it... Of course if this is becoming the common audio
>>> system then Skype needs to fix their code...
>>>
>>> Guess I will have to play with it and see what I can come up with. I went
>>> in and looked at the pulse audio files that are on the system and there
>>> are a bunch not sure which ones need to be removed...
>>>

> My problem is not trying new stuff I do it all the time, but I would
> like to know
> that there are issues and some work around info. I am lucky I can ask questions
> here, but not all people are in such a position. I would say that they should
> have a published work around because these things are what cause people to
> leave a product, I have been using Suse so long that I am used to the normal
> things they do, but when you run into several things that do not work and it
> is due to such a change, it is a problem. I see a message that is flashed on
> the screen when it all first fires up and now I know what it is, and it has to
> do with Pulseaudio not starting up right. I will have to go in and see what is
> causing it, but that is probably the reason for the whole thing.

I had let this one go for a while, but last night I was on the keyboard with my
nephew in Costa Rica, he had just got a DSL drop, but did not yet have Skype
installed. I have not yet pulled pulse out, but while looking about I
saw someone
indicate that they had run Skype as root and it worked just fine, I
just tried that
this morning, I had to install it as root but once done it works just
fine under
Suse 11.1. So I logged back in as my user and tried it, and it worked. Not sure
what happened but once I had installed it as root my user install worked just
fine. Now if I can figure out how to get the video out of this Basler camera and
into other stuff I should be set. V4L is rebelling for some reason.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;