Re: [SLUG] cell phone interfacing

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 15:33:02 EDT

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> I just got what Tracfone calls a "Motorola W175". This page:
>>
>> http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/compare-plans.aspx?stid=770&iid=7256
>>
>> leads me to think it's a modification of an existing model, so that
>> Tracfone can call it an "exclusive", and oh, BTW, it hinders comparison
>> shopping. For instance, Wal*mart sells what they call a "Motorola W175-4".
>>
>> I've read that runs Mobile Linux, but that doesn't automatically confer
>> interoperability. It connects to a host computer by USB for charging, and
>> presumably for data transfer too. "lsusb" identifies it as "22b8:40c0
>> Motorola PCS".
>>
>> Has anyone heard of a method by which the user can access the data on _any_
>> phone?

> Not usually, but they usually support a substandard of the Hayes modem
> standard. My RAZR sends SMS and does phonebook stuff over that protocol.

How do I enable TTY-over-USB? I thought it would be automatically done for
me, but the only /dev//ttyUSB* I see goes to the modem. The "manual" is
laughable. It didn't mention USB in any way.

> Linky:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_command_set#GSM

WP's account of it is pretty sparse: 17 words, in its entirety. Lots of
hits on "ETSI GSM 07.07"; now if I can find one that isn't source code, or
someone just discussing the standard.

> In windows I also have an option of talking to the phone using p2k, a
> legally questionable process that lets me access the filesystem, flash it,
> etc.

This p2k -- is it a program or a protocol? Any idea whether it would work
in VMware?

--
A well-lovd and corrctly traind domstc cnine is gnrlly slobbry, excitbl,
noisy, scatologically obsessed, xenophobic, pathetically unjudgmental,