Re: [SLUG] Build box for Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 22:27:29 EDT

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Pete Theisen wrote:

> I have an empty case about 11 years old, but never used. It is a 3/4 height
> (16 1/2" high) ATX with 250 watt Power and an extra fan.
>
> It has four 5 1/4 external bays, two external 3 1/2 bays and an internal 3
> 1/2 bay.
>
> I intend to use the box with two monitors for database application
> development in Python using the Dabo framework.
>
> I guess I will try Debian, if I can't get Debian to work then Ubuntu. I can't
> hack Gentoo and Mepis is too diverse to get everything on the same page.
>
> What is the good deal right now on motherboards, video cards, memory, CPUs
> and the like?

Being as how it's that old, it's probably not ATX-compatible, so you may
have a hard time getting ATX mobos to fit. It may require the services of a
Dremel and a drill. Or, you can look for an AT-shape mobo, but they may be
hard to find.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.