Re: [SLUG] Build box for Linux

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 05:05:00 EDT

> What is the good deal right now on motherboards, video cards, memory,
> CPUs and the like?

I built a machine from one of the local CompUSA stores last month (same
prices in-store as on their website):

Cheap case w/power supply
Asus AM2+ socket Motherboard with on-board nVidia (8xxx?), HDMI-out, etc.
Dual-core AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ (2.9GHz ) (retail processor, comes with
matched heatsink and fan)
4GB RAM (800MHz?)
500MB Seagate SATA HD

Total: $348

You can go cheaper for similar specs, but this machine (motherboard and
power supply) will allow me to drop-in a quad-core Phenom when they come
down in price (a year or so). I added a new combo DVD-burner last week,
for ~$30.

BTW, the CPU power/performance management seems to work fine in Ubuntu.
I have two gnome-widgets showing the current CPU-speed, and both cores
usually run at 1GHz, unless a CPU-intensive task forces them higher (up
to 2.9GHz).

--ronan