Re: [SLUG] Build box for Linux

From: Jonathan Brown (jbssfl@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 10:38:55 EDT

This is a recent order from http://newegg.com (the best online computer parts retailer). Just recently put it together.. this chip is darn fast for the price! (AMD 2.7 Kuma Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 AM2+ $59)

A case, motherboard, memory and processor cost me $236 inc. shipping (I didn't need a hard drive):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147117 --- $75 (Rosewill steel mid-tower case w/500w ps)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138117 --- $69 (BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce w/integrated nvidia 8100)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300 --- $59 (AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104072 --- $24 (Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM)

Like I said I didn't get a hard drive, but Newegg has lots of great deals on hard drives including the following WD 640g SATA 7200 drive for $70/inc shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218 (look at the avg 5 star review out of 1,442 reviews on this item)

Why not get two and set up software raid! This is easily done with CentOS; you select manual partitioning and it has the raid options right there.. CentOS is rock-solid and would be perfect for a development environment and is basically Red Hat so it's old hat for many..

I am not affiliated with Newegg in any way, so sorry for sounding like their main pimp. But I'm sure others here on SLUG will attest to their customer quality and service.

--Jon