Re: [SLUG] ESATA and ExpressCard

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Apr 26 2009 - 15:53:22 EDT

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, David S. wrote:

> I am thinking about getting an ESATA ExpressCard for use with Ubuntu 9.04.
> Can anyone make a recomendation as to which one to use? Or should any of them
> work?

Sorry, can't help. I haven't used eSATA (or however it's capitalized).

> Is there anyway of knowing what hardware will/will not work with Linux? This
> has been a question on my mind for a while (ever since I started using
> Ubuntu), although most of the hardware I currently have works. I may be
> looking to upgrade some of them and want to know what the best way of finding
> out. I do like using Newegg and some other online stores, but I dont want to
> order something and then find out I need to return it because of lack of
> support.

Google for |hardware_model_or_series (linux OR distro OR related_distros)|.
That should turn up stories of what people had to do to make that hardware
recognized, anywhere from "the OS picked it up and it worked for years" to
"it ate all my data and didn't say boo".

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political