Re: [SLUG] Hulu sounds like a stuck CD

From: Joe Brandt (vzd1s11k@verizon.net)
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 06:35:37 EDT

On Friday 08 May 2009 06:04:53 pm Paul M Foster wrote:

> Well, if you mean that the videos start, play, hang briefly from time to
> time, and then continue, yes I get that too. I'm pretty sure that's a
> CPU/memory issue. For example, when fetchmail is sucking up mail from my
> internet mail server, it has a tendency to briefly pause any running
> videos. If you can check a CPU/memory usage graph while watching videos,
> you'll probably see a spike when videos pause. I don't really worry
> about it. I suppose you could change nice values to give FF or Flash
> more governance over the CPU. My box is a crappy little Asus with a meg
> of memory and a Celeron CPU. I don't expect stellar performance.
>
> Paul

I am inclined to side with Paul. Having never heard of Hulu before this
thread, I checked it out. I also am running Opensuse 11.1 and it works
flawlessly. It is probably hardware. I am running an Alienware Aurora with
quad Phenom and 4 gig of memory using FIOS broadband. I have high end
hardware running the same OS as Chuck and mine works. I also religiously apply
updates to everything.

Hope this helps.
Joe Brandt