Re: [SLUG] Hulu sounds like a stuck CD

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 09:57:34 EDT

>> Well, if you mean that the videos start, play, hang briefly from time to
>> time, and then continue, yes I get that too. I'm pretty sure that's a
>> CPU/memory issue. For example, when fetchmail is sucking up mail from my
>> internet mail server, it has a tendency to briefly pause any running
>> videos. If you can check a CPU/memory usage graph while watching videos,
>> you'll probably see a spike when videos pause. I don't really worry
>> about it. I suppose you could change nice values to give FF or Flash
>> more governance over the CPU. My box is a crappy little Asus with a meg
>> of memory and a Celeron CPU. I don't expect stellar performance.

   I have a friend that is a "video guru" that has told me the
audio is frequently a bigger burden to the hardware than the
video. How much memory does your system have and how fast is
your swap memory if any. I never use swap memory because I
have over 2 gig of ram.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - "Not Hercules could have knock'd out his brains,
                   for he had none."               -- Shakespeare