Re: [SLUG] Hulu sounds like a stuck CD

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 13:07:03 EDT

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Ron Youvan wrote:

>>> Well, if you mean that the videos start, play, hang briefly from time to
>>> time, and then continue, yes I get that too. I'm pretty sure that's a
>>> CPU/memory issue. For example, when fetchmail is sucking up mail from my
>>> internet mail server, it has a tendency to briefly pause any running
>>> videos. If you can check a CPU/memory usage graph while watching videos,
>>> you'll probably see a spike when videos pause. I don't really worry
>>> about it. I suppose you could change nice values to give FF or Flash
>>> more governance over the CPU. My box is a crappy little Asus with a meg
>>> of memory and a Celeron CPU. I don't expect stellar performance.
>
> I have a friend that is a "video guru" that has told me the
> audio is frequently a bigger burden to the hardware than the
> video. How much memory does your system have and how fast is
> your swap memory if any. I never use swap memory because I
> have over 2 gig of ram.

I have 4 GiB and swap occasionally when I run VMware, since I also have ~40
FF windows containg maybe a hundred tabs, a few gnome-terminals, the
assorted evince, thunar, and other things as well as miscellaneous console
apps. xfce (which I use) is somewhat lighter than gnome but no doubt a bit
more memory-hungry than fvwm.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.