Re: [SLUG] MythTV

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 06:05:52 EDT

I've been using one for about 6-months. The input is off-the-air digital
TV, using a KWorld tuner card and a rabbit-ears antenna from Wal-Mart.
It gets all of the local network stations, plus a bunch of PBS, spanish,
ION (independent, used to be PAX), etc.

Everything works great*, though I haven't tried integrating it into a
living room setup (TV-out, RemoteControl, etc.); I watch on my computer
or burn video DVDs (using MythArchive), or have most programs setup to
transcode to small (320x240) H.264 files for viewing on cellphone or
sub-notebook.

* Well, not exactly 'everything': EIT has a problem. I don't subscribe
to a TV-Guide service. MythTV is sucking the schedule information right
out of the EIT (extended information table) that is embedded in all
digital signals. That works fine, and I don't think that it has ever
failed to get an episode that it was supposed to, but for some reason
the EIT data gets mis-aligned sometimes, and the 'blurb' doesn't match
the show. I don't mean same show week-to-week; I mean the blurb for
Sesame Street is shown on the playback screen for a Nova episode.
Relatively minor annoyance, since the show title is always correct.

--ronan