Re: [SLUG] Fun machines

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 21:34:50 EDT

I'm sorry, but this is just flat out wrong on so many levels. Any distro
worth its salt offers the option to install grub in the bootsector of the
installed partition instead of the MBR. That way each installation gets its
own grub configuration/installation in its partition, and they don't step on
each other's configs with updates, etc.

Dual(or more)-boot is very common... exhibit A: factory recovery partitions.

All the major distros offer the option of where to install the bootloader,
and the option usually isn't all THAT hidden. And yes, that includes Ubuntu
(which was specifically mentioned). Somewhere near the end of the
installation there's an advanced options checkbox or something, which when
selected asks where you want to install grub (default is MBR), and something
about participating in their tracking system.

I don't mean to discourage you from trying VMs which are very handy things
(though maybe less so on a netbook)... but the premise that dual-boot
configs are uncommon and only going to lead trouble is false.

~ Daniel