Re: [SLUG] Dumb monitor question

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 05:40:39 EDT

On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Bob Stia wrote:
> Hello Sluggers,
>
> Seeking some advice here. My lcd monitor is dying. In looking for a
> replacement I am wondering if I should go wide screen. Is there any problem
> with making it display properly? Manually configuring files? Running an
> nvidia fx5700 video card.
>
> Bob S

I've been running wide screen for years. No problems. Several distro's, still
no problems. These days everything will recognize the dimensions by querying
the monitor. Which is what X does. Then everything else falls in place.

If you have any issues you can manually configure it. I have four wide screens
and one that isn't. nVidia autodetects all. (Binary driver.)

Costco has a 24" Samsung 24BW which is really nice, for something like $200. I
got three of those.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.