RE: [SLUG] multi-page tiff files

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 09:07:31 EDT

TIFF = Tagged Image File Format

The catch is that not every application can read every tag. And that can be
a big issue. For example, CAD scanners are designed to scan 50" wide
documents, and create huge files. Line drawings are commonly stored as CALS
Group 4 formatted files, and those are a type of TIFF that is so uncommon
that they use an extension of CAL. Such files are highly compressed,
allowing 24"x 48" 300dpi scans to fit into a 120 kB file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format

Simply being a multi-page file doesn't really tell us what the tags might
be. You really want to know what application created the file, because that
is a clue to what tags are enabled. A TIFF file from an Epson flatbed
scanner might be completely different from a Vidar scanner.

Can you tell us what device and software created the file?

Ken Elliott