Re: [SLUG] RANT - Where Linux is Better than Mac (or, how I learned to stop worrying and love apt-get and debuild)

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 02:10:06 EDT

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Scott Grizzard <scott@scottgrizzard.com> wrote:

> First, I am a Mac user.  I am a Linux user too, and I was a Linux user
> before I was a Mac user.  I run Linux on all my servers, and I run Linux
> on my desktop.  For my laptop, I went with a high-end Mac, mostly
> because I wanted everything on my laptop to "just work" without running
> an xp vm like I do at home to run some software.  I wanted a bash shell,
> I was suduced by iTunes and the cool ads, and I wanted to run World of
> Warcraft without dual booting (in the cold, dark days when Wine didn't
> work as well for games and we only had white presidents).

Awesome... That is about the best reasoning I have seen regarding our
favorite OS. So much so that I will (with your permission Scott) give
few copies out to friends of mine. It truly gets to the real heart of the
issue, the time spent with Linux is MUCH more productive than with
those commercial products, and after a few minutes or hours when
possible with Linux each day, you feel like you have done something
productive not fight with some counter productive OS, but since most
people have never seen anything else they never realize what they
are missing unless they are shown.

By way running Compiz on this IdeaPad S10 really causes the questions
to pop up, like What version of Windows does that?? or How did you get
Windows to do that?? Even running all of that bling on this little box and
it still runs rings around the XP home that was on it. I was on a flight yes-
terday, and was doing some stuff with it, I had all kind of questions about
it, what they all wanted was the "cube"...

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;