Re: [SLUG] X on TV

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 15:52:27 EDT

On Sun, 31 May 2009, Eben King wrote:

> I'm trying to bring up a MythTV system (it's an Athlon 1.5 GHz, 1.5 MiB RAM),
> and an important step is getting a pretty fast video card. So I have an EVGA
> GeForce 6200 (no fan, passive cooling only), and I'm trying to use the Nvidia
> binary-only driver.
>
> I tried using with the OS-installed driver; that didn't work[1], so I
> downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run and installed that. That didn't
> work either, so I decided to look at and optionally clean up
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I changed some names (and matched the changes, I think)
> to make it easier to understand. I simplifed the file by removing references
> to the (unused) second monitor. No change. I found some double-quotes that
> either weren't there or were in the wrong place. I fixed them, no change.
> So I'm asking. Anyone see a reason this won't work? The file (minus
> commented lines) is here:
>
> http://royalty.mine.nu:81/dvr.xorg.conf
>
> An xorg log from a failed run is here:
>
> http://royalty.mine.nu:81/dvr.Xorg.0.log.gz
>
> [1] Throughout, "doesn't work" means "when I start gdm, it runs and fails a
> few times then offers to choose a new video driver".

Got it to work (sorta). I installed "envy" (the GTK interface) and used it
to uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia driver. But, the image is now
greyscale. Anyone know a fix?

Sorta-kinda-unrelated, anyone know how to modify the menu bar/window title
bar/task bar height? I want to use 800x600, but most dialogs are a smidge
too big to fit.

Here's my conf (minus commented-out lines):

Section "Screen"
         Device "video port"# match 1
         Identifier "TV4x3"# match 3
         Monitor "TV"# match 2
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth 24
                 Modes "800x600_60" "640x480_60" # modes are defined in 'Section "Monitor"' or default; unusable @ 640x480, need 800x600
         EndSubSection
         Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
         Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Screen 0
         Identifier "video port"# match 1
         Driver "nvidia"
         Vendorname "EVGA/NVidia"# no match forced
         Boardname "Geforce6200"# no match forced
         # options go either here or in 'section "screen"'
         Option "TVOutFormat" "AUTOSELECT" # to which I've attached an SVideo -> Composite adapter
         Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"# default = NTSC-M
         Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
         Option "NoLogo" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
         Driver "kbd"
         Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
         Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
         Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "Configured Mouse"
         Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier "Default Layout"
         screen 0 "TV4x3" 0 0 # match 3
         Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
         Inputdevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load "v4l"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier "TV"# match 2
         Vendorname "Sony"# no match forced
         Modelname "Trinitron something"# no match forced
         Horizsync 30.0 - 50.0
         Vertrefresh 60.0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "allowmouseopenfail"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
         Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
         Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
Scientist A: A matterbaby is a very unstable particle.