Re: [SLUG] Saving nvidia-settings in Ubuntu 9.04

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 18:19:06 EDT

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Pete Theisen wrote:
>>
>> It should have all kinds of stuff in it about the dual screens,
>> twinview, xinerama and all that, which are working, perfectly. I have no
>> idea what "dri2" is, maybe nursing home diapers?
>
> Anecdote: I used to have an old dell CRT that had the wrong EDID burned
> into it, it would report as an even earlier model. This means that X11
> wouldn't let me use 1280x1024 unless I manually specified modelines,
> refresh rates, etc - and then went and specifically told the nvidia
> driver to ignore EDID data. Was a real PITA. Now that I have a 'real'
> monitor, it's nice to not have to worry about all that.

I used to use a Dell CRT also. I forget what video card I used; maybe it
outlasted several. Anyhow, its stated maximum resolution was 1280x1024. I
hated the idea of using a 5:4 resolution when everything else was 4:3, so I
kept going. I settled on 1536x1152 (manually-entered mode). It ran that
way for over a year. It didn't die, I upgraded.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.