Re: [SLUG] Saving nvidia-settings in Ubuntu 9.04

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 17:17:46 EDT

Pete Theisen wrote:
> Hi Sluggers,
>
> OK, now I have the desktop the way I like it. Had to install something
> called "envy" to do it. This is after more than 40 failed edits of the
> xorg.conf I posted that I *thought* would work. BUT, working the way I
> like it or not, I can't save it!
>
> Ubuntu 9.04 will *not* allow a root login unless you are God, then You
> wouldn't bother. The root password is set as a hash and you can't change
> it. So even if you "allow root" in the settings you are wasting your
> time because you will never know the password.
>
> That said, gksudo nvidia-settings gets you into the nvidia configuration
> where you can set up to your heart's content. But if you try to save you
> get an error "Failed to parse existing X config file
> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'! "
>
> In the terminal there is this message:
>
> PARSE ERROR: Parse error on line 9 of section Module in file
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> "Disable" is not a valid keyword in this section.
>
> The xorg.conf does not reflect what is really running:
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> DefaultDepth 24
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> Disable "dri2"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Default Device"
> Driver "nvidia"
> EndSection
>
> It should have all kinds of stuff in it about the dual screens,
> twinview, xinerama and all that, which are working, perfectly. I have no
> idea what "dri2" is, maybe nursing home diapers?

DRI is a direct rendering implementation only supported by a few OSS
drivers. The binary nvidia drivers don't support it.

Just delete that line. The X11 server won't load DRI with that driver
anyways.

As far as the missing things... new versions of X11 (like what Ubuntu
has) autodetect most things. The exception seems to be 'binary' drivers
like nvidia and fireglx, which you DO need to specify.

Anecdote: I used to have an old dell CRT that had the wrong EDID burned
into it, it would report as an even earlier model. This means that X11
wouldn't let me use 1280x1024 unless I manually specified modelines,
refresh rates, etc - and then went and specifically told the nvidia
driver to ignore EDID data. Was a real PITA. Now that I have a 'real'
monitor, it's nice to not have to worry about all that.