[SLUG] Saving nvidia-settings in Ubuntu 9.04

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 12:14:48 EDT

Hi Sluggers,

OK, now I have the desktop the way I like it. Had to install something
called "envy" to do it. This is after more than 40 failed edits of the
xorg.conf I posted that I *thought* would work. BUT, working the way I
like it or not, I can't save it!

Ubuntu 9.04 will *not* allow a root login unless you are God, then You
wouldn't bother. The root password is set as a hash and you can't change
it. So even if you "allow root" in the settings you are wasting your
time because you will never know the password.

That said, gksudo nvidia-settings gets you into the nvidia configuration
where you can set up to your heart's content. But if you try to save you
get an error "Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'! "

In the terminal there is this message:

PARSE ERROR: Parse error on line 9 of section Module in file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.
"Disable" is not a valid keyword in this section.

The xorg.conf does not reflect what is really running:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "Default Screen"
     DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load "glx"
     Disable "dri2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "Default Device"
     Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

It should have all kinds of stuff in it about the dual screens,
twinview, xinerama and all that, which are working, perfectly. I have no
idea what "dri2" is, maybe nursing home diapers?

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.