Re: [SLUG] Saving nvidia-settings in Ubuntu 9.04

From: vern (vpeace01@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 18:30:44 EDT

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 12:14 -0400, Pete Theisen wrote:
> Hi Sluggers,
>
> OK, now I have the desktop the way I like it. Had to install something
> called "envy" to do it. This is after more than 40 failed edits of the
> xorg.conf I posted that I *thought* would work. BUT, working the way I
> like it or not, I can't save it!
>
> Ubuntu 9.04 will *not* allow a root login unless you are God, then You
> wouldn't bother. The root password is set as a hash and you can't change
> it. So even if you "allow root" in the settings you are wasting your
> time because you will never know the password.
>
> That said, gksudo nvidia-settings gets you into the nvidia configuration
> where you can set up to your heart's content. But if you try to save you
> get an error "Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'! "

Hi Pete,
I was poking around in my Ubuntu 9.04(64 bit flavor) and you can
actually allow root login by going through "Login Window" preferences,
Security tab. There is a check box there to "Allow local sys admin
login".
But you also would need to set the root password which i think is done
through "Users and Groups" and set also the /home directory for root as
well.
I did notice a Configure X Server button under that Security tab... I
don't know why and i aint going there because mine is working just fine.

I don't know about envy, but when I just installed this system a few
days ago I got the Nvidia driver installed, did the sudo nvidia-settings
from the terminal, setup my dual display, saved it and all is well.

Don't know if any of this helps you or not ?

vern