[SLUG] swap space on SUN disks

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 15:36:56 EDT

This week I've been working on cloning some SUN disks using dd.

In case anyone else has reason to need to do this, the command I'm using on theis SUN 220R is:

        dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 bs=10485760
where
        dsk refers to the disk device
        rdsk refers to the raw disk
        c0 is SCSI controller 0
        t0 is Target 0
        d0 is disk 0
        s2 is slice (partition) 2
        bs is the number of bytes to read and write at a time
        10485760 is 10 megabytes

Slices are what SUN calls a partition. Slice 0 is root, starting around
block 445. Slice 1 is swap, starting at 0 going to 444. Slice 7 is home
starting around block 1000. Slice 2 is interesting: called "backup"
it is defined as ALL blocks on the disk, starting at 0, going through
the end of the disk. It overlaps the other slices. Slices 3 through
6 are undefined.

Testing indicates the partition table of the target will be overwritten
with the the partition table of the source.

You should fsck the partitions on the target drive after the clone.

QUESTION:
Can anyone think of a reason to put the swap at the beginning of the
disk? I always try to put my swap in the MIDDLE of the disk for lowest
latency.
This may not be a SUN default and was just something the guy who built
this server 3 years ago did.