Re: [SLUG] streaming audio

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jun 07 2009 - 16:08:10 EDT

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009, Bob Stia wrote:

> Hello Sluggers,
>
> Trying to listen to streaming audio from a local radio station on line with
> Firefox. When I click on "Listen" I get the following message and do not know
> what it is telling me. I checked preferences in Firefox but did not find
> anything appropriate.
>
> /tmp/GenerateASX2-1.asp could not be opened, because the associated helper
> application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.
>
> Anybody know/ explain to me?

FF is trying to launch some program (the helper app) to handle the streaming
audio (actually a link that describes the stream). This failed for some
reason. I can't divine why as I'm not FF. Could be their site's broken.
Could be the app thinks it's already running and it's only allowed to run
once. Could be FF is using the wrong calling protocol for it. Maybe
there's some relevant info in /var/log/syslog or you can post the URL of the
page that has the streaming audio link and someone here can figure out more.

--
-eben         QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP          royalty.mine.nu:81

"windows seems to have stupidity buil[t] into it." -- sobriquet on a.o.l. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.