Re: [SLUG] Legacy application in VB6 (.com) - anyone know how to port this one?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 21:07:33 EDT

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Scott Grizzard wrote:

> I have a client with a custom (I have all the source code) legacy
> VB6/SQL Server application. I am trying to rid him of "that evil OS",
> but this "custom" application won't run in Wine (yet). It also depends
> on this older version of SQL, and I need it to work with MySQL or PgSql.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of how I could port this "thing" off Windows
> and on to our favorite operating system? (where users could then VNC
> into the silly thing and still use it) Mono won't work - the "thing" is
> written in .com, and Mono only supports .Net.

You could try VMware Player. It's free, and there are instructions out
there for giving it an arbitrary disk file. Since it emulates a real x59
box, it's most likely compatible with about everything.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna