Re: [SLUG] PATA or SATA?

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 11:09:25 EDT

>>> I'm looking at two DVD/CD burners. Same line, same specs, same
>>> price. One's IDE/ATAPI and the other's SATA. All my SATA cables are
>>> in use so I'd have to pick one up if I need one. But other than
>>> that, it doesn't matter to me which one I choose. Is there any
>>> reason I should choose one over the other? Are motherboard PATA
>>> interfaces going to get hard to find within the lifetime of this
>>> drive (say 5-10 years)?

>> I changed to a SATA after using a PATA for about a year and the SATA
>> burns a coaster if I am wearing my cell phone while it is writing,
>> because
>> it "phones home" every few minutes with it's geographic coordinates,
>> (ATT)
>> I can hear when it does it in my speakers and the telephone.

> Is that typical of these? I don't have a DVD burner yet. When I buy one
> I would like to avoid burning coasters if at all possible.

   I have a 500 gig 3.5" STAT in a USB hard drive and had a Plextor PATA
DVD/CD writer that my son basked into rendering it no-repairable and I
bought a "Liteon" (Philips) STAT because of the cable shortness and it
does not do well in general and gets messed up from the cell phone,
the .5tb drive and numerous thumb drives (two 8 gig) have been
unaffected by the cell phone as far as I know.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - I'm proud to be Chuck's pop!