Re: [SLUG] Hosting The Great Satan

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 07:22:51 EDT

> I thought I set up the VB network, but I guess I didn't.
> Winders can NOT ping the Linux IP successfully, so
> there must not be a connection.

What VB network config is the virtual using?

The default is NAT, which should fully allow connections initiated by your
virtual. Which means your Virtual Windows should be able to reach apache on
the host, but you can't initiate connections to the virtual from the
outside. You didn't change it to None or Internal, did you?

For the most function I'd recommend using bridged mode. Assuming you have
DHCP on your network (home router?), your virtual will get its own IP
address and be fully accessible to other hosts on the network by its unique
IP address.

You can also use host-only for a similar setup, except it's not reachable
from machines outside the host. So the host can directly address its
virtuals, and the virtuals can directly address each other, but from the
outside it works more like the NAT configurating (connections must be
initiated from the inside out, not the outside in).

Make sense?
~ Daniel