[SLUG] Open Source handwriting recognition application?

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 16:38:43 EDT

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Scott Grizzard wrote:

> I want it to be platform independent, which is why I wanted JavaScript
> to "Capture the Ink", but then have it send the "ink" to the server so
> the server could process it.

I have an application [Xournal, v 0.4.0.1] under Linux [CentOS
5] that captures mouse 'signings' and will emit a PDF (which
can be re-coded into to TIFF for OCR purposes, programatically)
-- here a Wacom pad, and a conventional PS/2 mouse.

         http://www.herrold.com/2009-06-22-Note-16-31.pdf

I do not know that anything could 'read' what I intended ...
it seemed quite combersome.

> The problems with using the client's libraries to do the ink capture is
> 1) The system /must/ store the original ink
         - check

> 2) I want the customer to be able to see the source of the writing
> application, and if I use windows' handwriting library (or Wacom's), I
> don't /really/ have an open-source solution.
         - check, and FOSS to boot

> 3) I want to be as client-platform independent as possible.
         - I am told Xournal has analogs in proprietary OS space

> 4) I want the system to learn the /user's/ handwriting, no matter which
> "client tablet" he is using at a given moment.
         -- no idea how to skin this cat ;)

> 5) I want the client to be "diet-hardware", to keep costs low.
         - check -- simple USB port, and simple X environemnt

hope this helps

-- Russ herrold